Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Apple's iLife

I am a big fan of Apple's iLife software (iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band, iDVD, iTunes). They make working with digital media much much easier, easier than any other software program I have tried. The integration between the apps is wonderful too. You can add photos from iPhoto and music from iTuens to your iMovie edited movie very easily.

Apple announced iLife 06 today which has some great looking features: podcast studio in Garage band, photocasting in iPhoto and several others.

There is one thing that dissapoints me in the iLife 06 package: all the automatic web publishing features require Apple's .Mac services at $99 per year. It's not a bad package and I am tempted, but I have 3 or 4 places I can publish to the web now via ftp, or otherwise including Flickr and the Internet Archive. So I am wondering if there is a hack or workaround to make iLife publish elsewhere.

Here is an article called Homemade Dot Mac from Oreilly's Macdevcenter site. This is a tutorial on how to set up your computer as a Web server with Web Dav as a stand in replacement for .Mac. This is close to what I am looking for but I don't want to run a server at home. Hope someone has a suggestion.

Listen to this article Listen to this article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home